Owning a flawless piece of diamond or emerald or for that matter any other precious gem or metal is not enough to pride over the collection. It is also required that you are thoroughly aware as to how to maintain these exclusive assets. In order to prolong the life of your precious jewelleries you must be extra cautious when handling them. Beautiful and precious jewelleries are accessories that accentuate our appearance. They are also invaluable assets that need to be taken care of to ensure long life.
If you are one those individuals who wear jewellery only on special occasions, then here are some useful tips on how to maintain the dazzling brilliance of your prized possessions:
- Keep the jewelleries assorted in soft muslin bags.
- Polishing the jewelleries once in a while.
- Handling them in a gentler manner.
- Do not expose to harmful chemicals and cleaning materials
- Do not wear jewellery when doing physical work like gardening etc
- Do not wear jewellery when sleeping
- Avoid exposure to harsh sunlight.
But if you love wearing the jewelleries on a more regular basis then you need to be extra cautious.
- Remove the jewellery before bath and other activities, which may subject them to moisture.
- Repairing them in due time is also necessary.
- Cleaning your precious jewels more frequently is important to keep them in their lustrous glory.
- Take photographs of your jewellery and also keep the purchase reports
Commonly when it comes to the polishing of precious metals or the valuable gems, people prefer going to jewelry store for a better result. Here are some ways in which you can take care of your precious possessions.
The Gems: In case you need to clean a gemstone keep in mind that all gemstones have fine internal cracks. They are delicate materials that can incur damage very easily. So they must be handled with lots of care. Cleaning with detergent solution is not an option for these stones. Commonly they require a better chemical solvent that will not dull their appearance nor will condense inside the gems. For example diamonds can be cleaned with the use of ammonia in water and also with ethyl-alcohol solutions. Other non porous gems can be cleaned with the help of the ultrasound cleaner. However, none of these could be done by individuals at home – and you need to take help for professionals to do it.
For many of the jewelleries however, at home cleaning can be done with the use of mild soap and lukewarm water. Other organic gems like pearl shell and corals can be well cleaned with the help of soft damp cotton fabrics.
Gold and Silver: Metals like gold and sterling silver tend to tarnish very easily. The best way to clean them is with the use of sudsy ammonia powder which should be applied to the surface with the help of a soft-bristled brush. In some cases toothpaste can be a good option. However it must be used with a lot of discretion as soft surfaces can get scratched and also the jewellery may lose its shine.
Some Home Based Tips for Cleaning Jewellery
- Alka-Seltzer: Drop your dull-looking jewelry in a glass of fizzing Alka-Seltzer for a couple of minutes.
- Aluminum Foil: To clean your jewelry, simply line a small bowl with aluminum foil. Fill the bowl with hot water and mix in one tablespoon of bleach-free powdered laundry detergent (not liquid), like Tide. Put the jewelry in the solution and let it soak for one minute. Rinse well and air-dry.
- Baking Soda: To remove built-up tarnish from your silver, make a thick paste with 1/4 cup baking soda and 2 tablespoons water. Apply with a damp sponge and gently rub, rinse, and buff dry. To polish gold jewelry, cover with a light coating of baking soda, pour a bit of vinegar over it, and rinse clean. Note: Do not use this technique with jewelry containing pearls or gem-stones, as it could damage their finish or loosen any
Jewellery is precious. So make sure you not only invest in jewellery but take care of the same.